Here I sit on the eve of the last day of the year, 2017. Also, possibly known as one of the hardest years of my life. Fitting that the word the Lord gave me the end of 2016 for this year was “joy”. I should have known 🙂
A few weeks ago Jason asked me what my recap of the word “joy” was for 2017. Without skipping a beat, I knew how to answer. The power of choosing it when everything around me and in me hurts. I don’t know about you all, but the most tangible way for me to choose joy was to be present in the moment and continually making lists of gratitude. I was in the midst of losing my daughter, but I could look in the eyes of my boys and know that God was good and could be trusted. I knew and still know today that He loves my baby girl more than I could ever fathom and so she is in good hands. That truth helped me choose joy through tears and a hurting heart.
I choose joy over the entire year of 2017. God’s hand was on me and at times carried me and I am beyond thankful.
Here are some of my most favorite hi-lights of 2017:
- Nanners moving in
- Leading my Dwelling Place and Mom To Mom tables
- Our annual 2 weeks in Tahoe (of course with 2 of my favorite families for one of the weeks) *best Tahoe vacation to date
- Reconciled and restored relationships
- The birth of my amazing niece, Callie Brave
- The Bible becoming more alive to me than ever in my 37 years of existence
- Watching my boys become friends
- Kidless weekend with Jason and friends in LA
- First Thrive Conference at Southwest
- The revolving door of teenage girls coming over to hang and educate me on the ways of life
- Jenkins family coming on staff at Southwest
- My second step study with some flipping amazing women
- Sister weekend in San Diego and laughing so hard it hurt
- Phil Wickham/Shane and Shane Christmas concert with some of my favorites
- Going through a devotional with Jason
- Increased intimacy with Jesus
- Marriage stronger and better than ever. Loving Jason more today than ever before
- Watching Jason love Jesus, his family, and his job SO well
- Baptizing one of the most amazing and inspiring people I know
- Because of God’s grace and goodness, having my friend, Courtney, in town and by my side during one of the most painful nights of my life.
- Weiland asked Jesus into his heart and was baptized by Jason.
These were just 20! I have so many more! BUT, it is your turn now! Maybe this was your best year yet?? Maybe it was your worst year yet?? Either way, there are at least 20 hi-lights that you can list! Don’t delay! Watch the gratitude transform your heart and mind. You will have a renewed perspective, I promise!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Now onto 2018…. “Peace” …. Here we go!